07 February 2010

At least she never walked...


...ok, a bit of a lie in my case, but an oft-repeated theme Haruki Murakami's lovely book 'What I talk about when I talk about running'. Partly philosophical, partly instructive and largely entertaining, I really enjoyed reading about someone elses' experience of running. I think it's fair to say I'm not a natural, and Murakami definitely is, so it's interesting to peer into another world, particularly one that is full of solid, dogged, determination - those of you that know me know I do walk.

This week has seen real progress on the running though, and I've certainly kept some of his thoughts in my head as I've been jogging round the park (or, on Thursday, to the garage to collect my car - imagine their delight when a bright red, gasping for breath and dripping with sweat person turns up at 8am!). I'm up to 30 minutes now, and I worked out that if I add 5 minutes a week to that I'll be up to 2 hours 30 mins by September, with the half marathon I want to do being in October. Sounds like a plan to me!

The baking is going well - note the photo of a raspberry cheesecake, which I made yesterday for a few friends who came round for dinner. Fabulously simple recipe, which followed an Asian pork & aubergine hotpot. I also made some almond cookies for a bake sale at work, but sadly forgot to take a photo...bit rubbish for someone who is supposed to be improving their photography!

On that subject, went along to the photographic portrait prize exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery on Friday night, with a friend whose skills far surpass mine (hi Peter!). Lovely to chat about things that inspire us, and I'm definitely building more time into my diary for practice - starting Tuesday with a day trip to Brighton. Keep an eye on Flickr for evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment