24 October 2010

Friends, family and 24,000 miles!


Writing a list can be a powerful thing to do. Too often, something that I've been meaning to do for ages pops into my head on a regular basis and is dismissed with a 'one day soon' excuse. Writing things down implies a commitment - if nothing else, a commitment that I won't forget I should be doing it. Those of you that are listaholics - and I know there are a few of you out there - know what I'm talking about! On my list of things to do before I'm 40, there are a couple of things that have been on the 'one day soon' list for too long, but by far the most important was heading off to the other side of the world to visit folk who are dear to me but who were in danger of slipping out of my life.

A combination of extra leave from work, and money in the bank for once, meant I could book that ticket, get on that plane, and go and say hi. What did strike me, just before I left and also when I arrived, was how very easy it is these days to book a flight and pay for it, and how in some ways that takes away the magic of the moment and lessens the enormity of the action. Particularly true when that flight is 12,000 miles and the journey takes 27 hours. The other extraordinary thing that crossed my mind is how amazing it is to travel that far and have a friend waiting for you at the other end...

And so, off I went. Auckland first, and the Pellows. Close friends who left for home (well, Alana's home) three years ago, with two young boys, the youngest of which I am Fairy Godmother to. They went for a better life, and they have found it. They have a fabulous home, have settled in great jobs, and the boys are very happy too. How lovely it was to drop into their lives for a week, and potter around exploring the city and stopping frequently for coffee and cake (as an aside, I am a coffee convert. For someone who only does decaf, that's quite a statement. I'm not sure decaf skinny wet lattes from Starbs are going to cut it any more - it could be flat whites all the way!).

All too soon though, and after a tearful goodbye, it was off to Melbourne (although the fact that I hadn't realised I needed a visa could have scuppered that entirely! Thankfully modern technology meant only a slight delay!).

Eleven years is a long time to not see a friend, and as Facebook has been a substitute for phone calls it had been a long time since I'd even spoken to Tori. It could have been awkward, but in the way of true friendships the years just melted away in the space of a car journey, pizza and a cup of tea! Those eleven years held significant life-changing events for both of us, but I guess we don't fundamentally change that much as people...

Tori was an excellent hostess (although the cats weren't that bothered!), and we spent a happy few days meandering about Melbourne, eating good food and filling in the gaps in our lives. Lovely to meet some of her friends too - as someone who is blessed with fabulous friends, it's always nice to see others are as well.

And then last but by no means least was a visit to see the Taylors. Technically a step-brother, but most definitely family, it was great to see John & Angela after eight years. Surrounded by horses, dogs, birds, two almost grown up kids and fifteen acres of land, theirs is a happy life. We shared fond memories of dad - a bond that will always be there - and family photographs (which thankfully will never see the light of day over here!)(although, Kez, I have the funniest one of you - child welfare would have had a field day!).

The trip was all about reconnecting with people, and while some may think I missed an opportunity to appreciate the glorious sights New Zealand and Australia have to offer, for me it was time well spent. I bring back memories of love, laughter, birthday treats, lots of hugs, cake, beaches, a bit more cake, and the all-round wonderfulness of you all. I promise I won't leave it so long next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment